Figs and fire make this a unique take on the classic Manhattan cocktail.
Looking for a new twist on the classic Manhattan cocktail? Nationally recognized mixologist Molly Wellmann gave us a seat at her bar Japp’s Since 1879, teaching us how a preserved fig can create a festive and delicious take on the famous drink.
How to make Molly Wellmann’s “Figgy Manhattan”
What you’ll need
- Rye whiskey
- 1 preserved fig
- Angostura bitters
- Sweet vermouth
- 1 orange
- In a pint glass, drop in 1 preserved fig and smash it with a muddler or spoon.
- Pour in 2 ounces of Rye whiskey and 1/2 an ounce of sweet vermouth.
- Add a couple dashes of bitters, then add ice.
- Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass.
- To garnish, take a pairing knife and carve off some of the peel from the top of an orange.
- Light a match and warm up the outside of the peel, then squeeze and add to the cocktail.
You might also like…