In 2018, the New England Confectionary Company closed up shop. Ending 116 years of Sweethearts candy. You remember those right? WINK WINK. They came in a box. Kinda chalky that had a mysterious SWEET flavor with romatic-ish sayings on it long before initialisms like LOL became cool. Spangler Candy gobbled up most of the old company and in slightly cryptic post on their website teased us all about a possible return. Well IT’S TRUE! The iconic Valentine’s Day candy returns.
After moving the candy making equipment from Massachusetts to Ohio and a few other delays, the Valentine’s Day candy returns this month in select stores (Walgreens & CVS). Next year, even more stores will stock the product. Maybe this time they will stick around FOR EVER.
Some interesting facts about Sweethearts candy from their website.
- All of the sayings are printed with red vegetable coloring.
- BE MINE, BE GOOD, BE TRUE and KISS ME sayings date back to the launch of the candy in 1902.
- In the early 1990s, more modern expressions like FAX ME came into vogue.
- They come in seven flavors and colors.
- 8 Billion hearts are made every year.
Related Video: A Look Inside Cincy’s Craziest Candy Shop “Groovy Gumball”
Stay up to date with all things Cincy Weekend!
Post expires at 11:41am on Tuesday March 17th, 2020