A "Yooper" snack gets a Cincinnati twist.
You might not know it, but Fox19 meteorologist Catherine Bodak is a proud “yooper.”
If you’re like us, you had to Google that, finding out that it means “person from the upper peninsula of Michigan.” We asked her to make a recipe that’s been passed down in the family and she delivered with the “pastie”, meat and veggies stuffed into a crust and baked until perfection. She also brought in her sister Rachel to help. Try it at home and let us know what you think!
How to make Goetta “Pasties”
What you’ll need
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tube of Goetta
- 2 medium potatoes, preferably a waxy type like Yukon gold, cubed
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup cubed rutabagas
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- Pie crust
- In a big bowl, add all of your meat, Goetta and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well by hand.
- Place a scoop of the mix in the middle of a pie crust.
- Fold in half, press down along the edges and twist the outer crust (watch the video to learn the proper style)
- With a knife, cut 2 slits on the top to vent.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 45 minutes to an hour
- Enjoy on it’s own, or with Ketchup (the Bodak way)
You might also like..